Electricity plays a vital role in our day to day life, and so do electricians. Electrician Kent install and wire our houses with electricity, so that we don’t experience darkness and humidity in our homes; they also rewire and maintain electricity of our homes and provide us with further assistance. They make every electrical thing happen. They provide us with power so that we can utilize it for managing our electrical items. But is that all they do? Do they do this on any other workday as well? Or do they do something else as well?
Well, to start, electricians are broadly categorized into categories or types of electricians.
There are four most common types of electricians:
- Residential Wireman: They work on a smaller scale, in people’s houses. They repair, install, or maintain wiring in common households. They are the ones we call in our house for in-house maintenance or installation. They are most common.
- Inside Wireman: They work on a larger scale of buildings, like factories, municipal buildings, airports, colleges, schools, arenas, etc. They install and maintain wires in these types of buildings which are not private and open to public. The work for a community and not on or for a particular household.
- Telecommunications Electricians: They work in communication technology. They install cables, phones, local area network and other forms of communication. They can be commonly seen when a landline in the house has stopped working, or when an institute wants a network connecting its other buildings. They usually deal with technical and network problems.
- Outside Linemen: They work on huge electrical projects like plants, radio towers, microwave towers, etc. They have a different specialization for this work. They can be found installing huge wires around a radio or phone tower, or around a new plant.
Apart from their different positions and the work they do, they have common responsibilities.
- They read blueprints in order to determine the positions and placements of various electrical components like circuits, panel boards and outlets, etc.
- They plan the layout in a building of all the electrical components and plan where to install them throughout the building(s).
- They add, maintain and replace electrical components like circuit breakers, fuses, and wires in the buildings that they are working on.
- They trace the flow of energy in transformers and circuit breakers, so as to ensure that electricity flows properly everywhere in the building.
- They review work done by other electricians on a building to ensure the work is properly done, and that the electrical law code set by the country’s law has been followed.
- They also find and maintain faulty or old wiring, and hanging loose wiring as well, so as to ensure safety of the place.
- They also manage their crew’s work, time, and labor. They manage the workers, their timings, and their amount of work done for estimating profits and success rates.
- They also provide training and teaching to other electricians, or aspiring electricians.
Overall, electricians play a major role in our day to day lives. Their job mainly consists of wiring, maintaining, and providing us with power. But they do other things as well. There are types of electricians, mainly four: residential wireman, inside wireman, telecommunications wireman, and outside linemen. Although they have their very own and different fields of specialization with respect to electricity, they have some responsibilities in common. Such as, they have to read blueprints, make layouts, maintain electrical components, trace energy flow in transformers and circuit breakers, review others’ work, manage time and labor, and train aspiring electricians.